Mining in Springfield Quadrangle
The mines in the Springfield quadrangle underlie
much of the west part of the city of Springfield. Mining began in this area
early in the 19th century, but the first specific reference is to two mines
that opened about 1865. Jacob Loose's mine was at the location later mined by
Wabash Coal Company (Mine Index 313). The Old North Mine was probably located
in or near the east part of the Panther Creek Mine No. 4 (Mine Index 618). The
extent of these old mines is uncertain; the boundaries may extend beyond the
mapped boundaries shown.
Records of annual production were not officially kept until 1881 when the
first of the Illinois Bureau of Labor Statistics Biennial Reports was published.
Sangamon County ranked among the top four coal producers in the state until
the 1930s, but production gradually fell off and by 1953 the overall rank was
9th. The last production in this quadrangle was recorded in December, 1953.
The Springfield Coal formerly known as the No. 5 Coal, is the major seam mined
in this quadrangle. The coal is 200 to 260 feet deep and about 6 feet thick.
It is known to have clay veins, also called horsebacks, which created some problems
in controlling the mine roof.
The Chapel Coal, found 90 to 190 feet above the Springfield Coal, is believed
to have been mined in at least one mine in this quadrangle (Mine Index 2593).
This coal is generally 1 to 3 feet thick and, where present, lies less than
100 feet below the surface.
Land Reclamation Division