Prospect Cemetery Prairie
Location and Access:
From Paxton at jct. Hwys. 9 & 45, take Hwy. 45 south 1 mi. to Green Street, then turn and go east 0.2 mi. to an intersection. The nature preserve is to the east.
Prospect Cemetery Prairie is a 5 acre cemetery with a remnant mesic black soil prairie of the Grand Prairie Section of the Grand Prairie Natural Division. Created in 1859, Prospect Cemetery was the first cemetery in the county. Burials continued until 1914 and possibly later. The preserve has a natural appearance in the southern third of the site, where the high quality prairie reflects presettlement conditions. Some 80 species of native herbaceous forbs and grasses have been identified, of which 21 occur nowhere else in the county. A few of these unusual plants are yellow star-grass, green milkweed, cream wild indigo, prairie gentian and prairie blazingstar. Common occurring species include big bluestem, Indian grass, little bluestem, and prairie dropseed.
Ownership: Paxton Township Cemetery Association
Dedicated: October 1976
Size: 5 acres
Topo Map: Paxton 7.5
For Further Information Contact: Patton Township Board, 133 W. Franklin Street, Paxton, IL 60957 (217/379-3340)
1/2009 - R. Heidorn