www.dnr.illinois.gov

Pat Quinn, Governor

DNR Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

 IDNR Home
 IDNR Home (new)
 Agency Offices
 Disabled Outdoors
 Freedom of Information Act
 Get Involved
 Grant Info
 Great Lakes Restoration
 Hunting
 Fishing
 License / Permit / Register
 Kids & Education
 Law Enforcement
 Mandatory Safety Programs
 Lodges / Leasing
 More Links
 Outdoor Recreation
 Parks & Recreation
 Press Releases
 Publications
 State Museums
 World Shooting & Recreational Complex
 DNR A to Z

 DNR
 Illinois

  The Weldon Springs Company  

The Weldon Springs Company

The Weldon Springs Company

While he would not lease his land to private parties, Judge Lawrence Weldon agreed to lease the land that would become known as "Weldon Springs" to an enthusiastic and active company of local business and civic leaders "to operate a medicinal springs sanitorium and pleasure resort."

Image = Weldon Springs
Image = Weldon Springs

The sale of 200 shares of stock at $50 per share provided capital of $10,000 to create a lake and make the necessary improvements. The plan called for 6,000 yards of dirt to be moved to build a dam that would be 425 feet long and impound a lake of 15 acres. The lake would take in a number of natural springs, but "Old Faithful" and "Twin Springs" would remain exposed. The state would stock the lake with fish.

Image = Weldon Springs
Image = Weldon Springs
Image = Weldon Springs
Image = Weldon Springs

To Judge Weldon, the company would pay $4 per acre ($160) plus all taxes. The company would spend at least $1,000 per year on buildings and other improvements. The agreement made, a charter was issued to the Weldon Springs Company in 1897.

Return to Postcards

Kids & Education

 New This Month
 Online Order Form
 Student Pages

Copyrightę 2014 Department of Natural Resources
Accessibility    Contact    FAQs    Podcasts    Privacy    Social Networking